Skip to main content

Wild at a castle

A few nights ago I was at my temperature limit trying to sleep. I think 28C is it. Maybe with training I could manage warmer but on a relaxing holiday I can just about drop-off at 28C.

One night it had been much cooler but the temperature rose during the dark to 25C. That was a strange feeling. It was the beginning of an early summer heatwave from the Sahara, which even made the Radio 4 news “Andalucia is experiencing temperatures 10 degrees above the May average”.

Yesterday morning at the 6 o’clock wee, the temperature was just 4C. I think that’s a record for a late Spring /early Summer trip. This is mainly due to our height which is around 950m, so similar to that of Scafell in the English Lake District  

We didn’t mind. This is where we stayed.








It was another unplanned stop for which we have the Park4night app to thank. This app will show you places to stop near you / a point on the map. These can range from proper campsites to on-street parking in a town. Anywhere really that people with campervans or motorhomes have used and reviewed for either daytime over overnight stops.

So it was for our castle. The Head of Overnight Stops interrogated the app and it suggested a 10 minute drive off-road along a gravel and rock track, “not really suitable unless you have high clearance”. This is to the south east of Madrid, near the hamlet of Saelices.

We drove the track which was uninspiring at first, only to find that the castle, Castillo de Saelices and an abandoned homestead at the end, were even more amazing than we had imagined.



It was a clear night without a sound. The moon has gone now so it was dark and starry.




I saw a celestial phenomenon that I’ve not seen before. After dusk but before real dark, I saw several satellites reflecting the sun. They appeared as little momentary pinpricks in my area of view. It’s a little like the eye test when you look straight ahead and watch for pinpricks of light in your peripheral vision, clicking a button when you see one. They seemed to pop up in random places, away from the setting sun. Maybe it’s the low orbit Starlink satellites.

I have tried to Goooogle Starlink to see if I’m correct but it’s only served to scare me about eye problems associated with vitreous gel and blue field entopic phenomenon, problems which appear to manifest in the daytime not night. So I will look again tonight!

After waiting long enough for the sun to warm us we had breakfast and another good look around and at the view.

We hadn’t seen another soul since arrival. This just doesn’t happen in most places except Spain it seems.

Rather reluctantly we drove back to the tarmac. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The empty map of Macedonia and into Greece

Continuing south towards the Serbia / Macedonia border, the satnav warned of a lack of detail, "do you wish to continue with this route?" However we are not intrepid explorers and Macedonia comes with a few " be careful" warnings, so we decided to stay on the motorway :-) We didn't explore Serbia; it will wait for another trip. So it was on to the border. Here, passport and V5 were required again and also proof of insurance. We didn't have any of course. When we rang the UK insurance company call centres prior to the trip, most had no idea where these countries are. They don't understand non-EU. "Macedonia - can you spell that"? The nice man at the passport office was already expecting me to say that I would buy my insurance at the "Green card office" and he handed back one passport and the V5 and put mine in his pocket until I had the necessary paper for the Landy. Unfortunately in spite of the Land Rover being classed as PL...

Remote mountains and how not to behave in them

Prior to the trip I had read somewhere that there aren’t any mountains in Portugal - at least I thought I read it. My preparations had, as usual, been focused almost totally on getting the Landy ready and Dawn, who had been doing all the other jobs was much better informed. “What? You are kidding aren’t you? Have you even looked at a map?” were some of the words she used when I told her this vital piece of information. As it became clear, there are mountains in Portugal - not massive peaks but high elevations are common and the extent of the ranges is quite large. The most remote and wild are the Serra da Peneda Gerês which rise to 1,440m but there are three others “Seras” in the Parque National da Peneda - Gerês, in which wolves roam free. First stop on they way there was the town of Guimarães, the day after “Portugal Day” and the castle and buildings were in tip-top condition. A Polish guy from Katowice who’s lived here for twenty years was selling bilberry jam in these c...

"I'm the dog"

El Berro and  Camping Sierra Espuña  are nicely positioned for walking in these 'low' Sierras and of course the obligatory GR XYZ  long distance path crosses the village. The campsite people gave us a couple of short walk suggestions, written on A4 and translated by some English guy, Michael Ball. We waited until the end of the afternoon, so that the temperature was somewhat manageable and then picked one of the ~1 hour walks that start at the campsite. The walk is so simple that there's no description, just a small diagram that's well annotated with the type of path (wide main track / footpath), other markers (gate, incorrect route, fence). You can't go wrong, can you? Well the first part was easy. Follow the path out of the village, up a valley, through woodland, up and up. Then reach the ridge and the marked ring of stones. Don't turn right, carry on straight across. Then wander through a few trees and down to a dry riverbed, at which point you walk the (ve...