Skip to main content

Costa de la Luz

The windy warm weather was perfect for washing and the campsite had plenty of ‘professional washing machines’. These are the sort that Dot Cotton must have run as they can do a huge wash in less than an hour. They even add their own detergent if you stick an extra 50c in the slot. By the time it was pegged out the washing was almost dry!




Tarifa is where the Atlantic Ocean meets the Mediterranean Sea, although the specific boundary where the waters meet is a little up the coast, almost next to the lighthouse at Cape Trafalgar. You could clearly see the two waters - there was a swell on Med waters that seemed to be pushed or stopped by the Atlantic which seemed calmer. It was a bit strange and hard to capture on a photograph.

I remember going to the Mediterranean for the first time and being shocked that there was no tide. The reason is clearer once you come and see this narrow gap between the landmasses of Europe and Africa. There simply isn’t enough room for the volume of water to move quickly enough into and out of the Mediterranean side. So the water level change can’t happen.

This Atlantic coast of Spain is the Costa de la Luz, the coast of light. In every way it is not the Costa del Sol which is around the corner on the Med side (think Marbella, Torremelinos, Malaga). It is undeveloped, quiet, spectacular and has wide long beaches with tides to wash them.

We walked on a deserted beach north of Tarifa but to get there the road crossed a big sand dune. To get a sense of the scale of this ‘sandy bit’ we grabbed a couple of photographs.



The council workers were busy with large scale sand movement. The persistent wind must fill the road and they persistently dig it out.








Later we walked on another beach in order to try an even larger dune walk. This proved to be good fun for a while. It’s a little like walking in a whiteout as the crests of the dunes are hard to see and the leeward face is very steep.




After a while it wasn’t fun as the sand had enveloped the trees and stunted dead wood was sticking up out of the huge dunes. We stupidly walked barefoot across this until I trod on the top of an unseen stump and took a slice off #4 toe end.

Then it was onto Cape Trafalgar. I have to admit that I knew nothing about the Battle of Trafalgar until a few months ago. I know quite a lot about other things but not this part of our English history. Now I know about the battle and it’s place in our history but I feel embarrassed to have only just done so.



Suffice to say for now that the Royal Navy, led by Admiral Lord Nelson, defeated the combined fleet of France and Spain, just off this coast in 1805.

This was done against all the odds (ships and men) and it was Nelson’s master plan to ‘spear’ the enemy rather than face them conventionally in a broadside battle, that split them and led to their heavy losses and defeat. Sadly of course, Nelson lost his life during the battle.

Comments

Mark M. said…
Those Sand dunes looking enormous and the council workers have a job for life.

Like you I know not as much as I should about the Battle of Trafalgar but we do have Trafalgar Square in London as a wonderful memorial. I have been onto HMS victory and seen the brass plate showing where he died.

I hope your toe gets better quickly and let you wear shoes next time!
Tim said…
Thanks Mark Shoes next time yes.
I walked across Trafalgar Square many times when I last worked in London but didn’t think to read more about the hero at the top.

Popular posts from this blog

The empty map of Macedonia and into Greece

Continuing south towards the Serbia / Macedonia border, the satnav warned of a lack of detail, "do you wish to continue with this route?" However we are not intrepid explorers and Macedonia comes with a few " be careful" warnings, so we decided to stay on the motorway :-) We didn't explore Serbia; it will wait for another trip. So it was on to the border. Here, passport and V5 were required again and also proof of insurance. We didn't have any of course. When we rang the UK insurance company call centres prior to the trip, most had no idea where these countries are. They don't understand non-EU. "Macedonia - can you spell that"? The nice man at the passport office was already expecting me to say that I would buy my insurance at the "Green card office" and he handed back one passport and the V5 and put mine in his pocket until I had the necessary paper for the Landy. Unfortunately in spite of the Land Rover being classed as PL...

Remote mountains and how not to behave in them

Prior to the trip I had read somewhere that there aren’t any mountains in Portugal - at least I thought I read it. My preparations had, as usual, been focused almost totally on getting the Landy ready and Dawn, who had been doing all the other jobs was much better informed. “What? You are kidding aren’t you? Have you even looked at a map?” were some of the words she used when I told her this vital piece of information. As it became clear, there are mountains in Portugal - not massive peaks but high elevations are common and the extent of the ranges is quite large. The most remote and wild are the Serra da Peneda Gerês which rise to 1,440m but there are three others “Seras” in the Parque National da Peneda - Gerês, in which wolves roam free. First stop on they way there was the town of Guimarães, the day after “Portugal Day” and the castle and buildings were in tip-top condition. A Polish guy from Katowice who’s lived here for twenty years was selling bilberry jam in these c...

"I'm the dog"

El Berro and  Camping Sierra Espuña  are nicely positioned for walking in these 'low' Sierras and of course the obligatory GR XYZ  long distance path crosses the village. The campsite people gave us a couple of short walk suggestions, written on A4 and translated by some English guy, Michael Ball. We waited until the end of the afternoon, so that the temperature was somewhat manageable and then picked one of the ~1 hour walks that start at the campsite. The walk is so simple that there's no description, just a small diagram that's well annotated with the type of path (wide main track / footpath), other markers (gate, incorrect route, fence). You can't go wrong, can you? Well the first part was easy. Follow the path out of the village, up a valley, through woodland, up and up. Then reach the ridge and the marked ring of stones. Don't turn right, carry on straight across. Then wander through a few trees and down to a dry riverbed, at which point you walk the (ve...