Skip to main content

Towards the mountains

 I have found the combination of loads of mobile data and Google Translate a very useful holiday tool. In a calendar month I will have used almost all of my 11GB of data.

Although my Spanish Duolingo ‘web learning’ before we left, gave me a good start to the language, I forgot to pack my notebook of ‘special words’, so perhaps used Google more than I expected.

The Google translate app is easy to use and if necessary it will offer a spoken translation, although I’ve hardly used that.

One surprising feature is that it can perform direct text recognition to translation. Just using the camera you hover over the text and English, in my case is superimposed. Like this…








With more complex language the translation is a little less accurate but nevertheless it is very handy.


We were by now watching the weather forecast for the northern coast and made the decision that we wouldn’t head for the Picos. What’s the point in going there only to meet cool wet weather? The Pyrenees were showing a better forecast and we have only been in the Spanish side once, for a couple of days, so there was plenty to ‘go for’.

So we confirmed a change of course and headed for ‘somewhere in the Pyrenees’. First though, was another hill-top town and magnificent church and then another open road.







On the way we paid a return visit to a magnificent canyon which is just stunning from the mirador de Galiana at 1,120m.





Later we did the usual turn off the road into a neighbouring village and spied a bar with plenty of activity. Lunch!

Inside I almost had to push my way to the bar, as there were about eight locals sitting along it. I used my best Spanish to order coffees and some tapas but one of the guys decided to recommend the tortilla and we were served with a sizeable portion, plus the anchovy and quails egg ratione and an egg stuffed with tuna mayonnaise.

 


The barman asked if I was English or American. One of the locals was from Washington State “but I’m not going back”. He said he was looking after his kids until they were old enough for him find some work. That’s all his life story I gathered in a snatched conversation.

Later we stopped next to a lake and had a swim, it was Saturday and quite busy with some Spanish but also a fair number of French who were there for the duration.

We then embarked on a search for an overnight stop which was supposed to be up a narrow, extremely loose track up the side of a valley.

So we drove the narrow, extremely loose track, very slowly in low gear, until Google indicated a right fork. It was even narrower and steeper and so tiny that we assumed it wasn’t the right one. Google rerouted us but all that did, was take us further and further along the extremely narrow loose track until we found somewhere to turn around.

I walked up the other track but there was no way I was going to drive it. Instead we headed up the valley towards Formigal and found a place at the end of the tarmac above a village where we spent a pleasant night.




Comments

Nick G4FAL said…
All fabulous. Shame you are approaching the end of the jaunt.

Popular posts from this blog

The empty map of Macedonia and into Greece

Continuing south towards the Serbia / Macedonia border, the satnav warned of a lack of detail, "do you wish to continue with this route?" However we are not intrepid explorers and Macedonia comes with a few " be careful" warnings, so we decided to stay on the motorway :-) We didn't explore Serbia; it will wait for another trip. So it was on to the border. Here, passport and V5 were required again and also proof of insurance. We didn't have any of course. When we rang the UK insurance company call centres prior to the trip, most had no idea where these countries are. They don't understand non-EU. "Macedonia - can you spell that"? The nice man at the passport office was already expecting me to say that I would buy my insurance at the "Green card office" and he handed back one passport and the V5 and put mine in his pocket until I had the necessary paper for the Landy. Unfortunately in spite of the Land Rover being classed as PL...

Remote mountains and how not to behave in them

Prior to the trip I had read somewhere that there aren’t any mountains in Portugal - at least I thought I read it. My preparations had, as usual, been focused almost totally on getting the Landy ready and Dawn, who had been doing all the other jobs was much better informed. “What? You are kidding aren’t you? Have you even looked at a map?” were some of the words she used when I told her this vital piece of information. As it became clear, there are mountains in Portugal - not massive peaks but high elevations are common and the extent of the ranges is quite large. The most remote and wild are the Serra da Peneda Gerês which rise to 1,440m but there are three others “Seras” in the Parque National da Peneda - Gerês, in which wolves roam free. First stop on they way there was the town of Guimarães, the day after “Portugal Day” and the castle and buildings were in tip-top condition. A Polish guy from Katowice who’s lived here for twenty years was selling bilberry jam in these c...

"I'm the dog"

El Berro and  Camping Sierra Espuña  are nicely positioned for walking in these 'low' Sierras and of course the obligatory GR XYZ  long distance path crosses the village. The campsite people gave us a couple of short walk suggestions, written on A4 and translated by some English guy, Michael Ball. We waited until the end of the afternoon, so that the temperature was somewhat manageable and then picked one of the ~1 hour walks that start at the campsite. The walk is so simple that there's no description, just a small diagram that's well annotated with the type of path (wide main track / footpath), other markers (gate, incorrect route, fence). You can't go wrong, can you? Well the first part was easy. Follow the path out of the village, up a valley, through woodland, up and up. Then reach the ridge and the marked ring of stones. Don't turn right, carry on straight across. Then wander through a few trees and down to a dry riverbed, at which point you walk the (ve...