Skip to main content

Easy days

  Mon - Tue 9th - 10th Oct

It would be easy to stay in Stoupa and we did, for five nights, which is a record for this trip. The campsite is perfectly acceptable, with clean toilets and warm showers. I took a renewed interest in the domestic solar water heater idea, as I could easily climb this one to grab a pic of the label. A zoom wouldn’t do the detail.








Why don’t we use these? They do in colder places than here. I know (I think) that the primary circuit has some sort of no-freeze refrigerant in it. Possibly there’s a legionella scariness because the stored warm water would often be in the temperature danger zone. I will investigate, as a warmer-than-mains feed to the boiler at home would be handy, if lower pressure can be accommodated.

There’s a mix of campers in age and nationality. Most are German speaking (D, CH and A) and of those, a number have pre-school children. There’s also a motorhome from France with young children of school age and a large one from the UK. They can only use the major roads I’m sure. 

The UK registration plate was memorable and I remembered it from the site at Ionion Beach a few days earlier. A number plate ending FFS tells a story. Apparently it was a present to the lady of the house but although we chatted about their trip, I don’t think that we covered why FFS was appropriate. They are planning to ‘ferry’ back over to Italy and then take another to Barcelona. So no plans to go home to Ivybridge and time soon.

We enjoyed three increasingly long morning swims, along the line of the buoys across the bay. That was after ‘Marina’ first led us out from the beach at Patrico’s, to the the most distant one.

I lost count of how many double strokes it was but I think it was getting on for an hour of swimming. Stoupa has cold water welling up from the sea bed which was refreshing in these warm waters.

In the evening we ate out three times in five, which is an all time record and as a thank you for the use of the sunbeds, we had late morning coffee and cake at Patrico’s. Yes I know it’s a big piece but I didn’t cut it!





Stoupa is full of ‘local’ English speakers and there is quite a community, separate from the other English speaking visitors who fly in. When you hear a voice, you can play the game, ‘Manchester or Gatwick?’, It’s good fun for a minute or two.

The English lady at the Saturday craft market, which used to be an expat bric-a-brac sale, was happy to answer my technical questions about the manufacture of the glass pendants. “They are made from melted Bombay Sapphire gin bottles. My husband provides the bottles”.

She shouldn’t have mentioned that she melts the pieces in a microwave oven. That got me interested. Apparently you use a little kiln inside. She couldn’t explain how it warmed with the rays but it works.

Not surprisingly, as this is Greece, many things are the same as they were when we first came here in 2003. The huge concrete building frame above Kalogria beach is just as it has always been. The cultural centre at the beginning of the road to Ag Nik is also a bit unloved.

The site of the Pig Man’s daily hog roast is now fenced off. He was famous for his pork butties and we ate them on that first trip. The stall later went up in flames and for a year or three was left, charred timbers and all. Now it has a fence but sadly there’s no sign of the Pig Man.



We walked to Ag. Nik.and had coffee at a very nice place before being directed by ‘Peelchat’ to a swimming platform on the edge of the village.






It’s great to have a swim and be able to have an outdoor shower after.

Stoupa is a wonderful place which seems tuned to low impact package holidays, self-assembled fly-drives and the longer stay and expat community. I can see us coming again.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The empty map of Macedonia and into Greece

Continuing south towards the Serbia / Macedonia border, the satnav warned of a lack of detail, "do you wish to continue with this route?" However we are not intrepid explorers and Macedonia comes with a few " be careful" warnings, so we decided to stay on the motorway :-) We didn't explore Serbia; it will wait for another trip. So it was on to the border. Here, passport and V5 were required again and also proof of insurance. We didn't have any of course. When we rang the UK insurance company call centres prior to the trip, most had no idea where these countries are. They don't understand non-EU. "Macedonia - can you spell that"? The nice man at the passport office was already expecting me to say that I would buy my insurance at the "Green card office" and he handed back one passport and the V5 and put mine in his pocket until I had the necessary paper for the Landy. Unfortunately in spite of the Land Rover being classed as PL...

Remote mountains and how not to behave in them

Prior to the trip I had read somewhere that there aren’t any mountains in Portugal - at least I thought I read it. My preparations had, as usual, been focused almost totally on getting the Landy ready and Dawn, who had been doing all the other jobs was much better informed. “What? You are kidding aren’t you? Have you even looked at a map?” were some of the words she used when I told her this vital piece of information. As it became clear, there are mountains in Portugal - not massive peaks but high elevations are common and the extent of the ranges is quite large. The most remote and wild are the Serra da Peneda Gerês which rise to 1,440m but there are three others “Seras” in the Parque National da Peneda - Gerês, in which wolves roam free. First stop on they way there was the town of Guimarães, the day after “Portugal Day” and the castle and buildings were in tip-top condition. A Polish guy from Katowice who’s lived here for twenty years was selling bilberry jam in these c...

"I'm the dog"

El Berro and  Camping Sierra Espuña  are nicely positioned for walking in these 'low' Sierras and of course the obligatory GR XYZ  long distance path crosses the village. The campsite people gave us a couple of short walk suggestions, written on A4 and translated by some English guy, Michael Ball. We waited until the end of the afternoon, so that the temperature was somewhat manageable and then picked one of the ~1 hour walks that start at the campsite. The walk is so simple that there's no description, just a small diagram that's well annotated with the type of path (wide main track / footpath), other markers (gate, incorrect route, fence). You can't go wrong, can you? Well the first part was easy. Follow the path out of the village, up a valley, through woodland, up and up. Then reach the ridge and the marked ring of stones. Don't turn right, carry on straight across. Then wander through a few trees and down to a dry riverbed, at which point you walk the (ve...