Skip to main content

Across Croatia

Sat - Mon 21st - 23rd Oct





What’s the issue with UK broadcasters and people like me who want to access sports events when abroad? They know it’s me, as I am logged-in to my account on ITV X or BBC Sounds. I have declared that I have a TV license.

I can listen to the rugby build-up but at the moment of kickoff, I can’t listen anymore “due to rights issue”.

What a load of tosh. It’s me. It’s just that I’m here, rather than there. Let me watch the rugby.

Well they won’t, so for the first time I do a simple thing. I get a new app and join the thousands of others who have already done this. I am magically in the UK. Now I can watch and I do.

I watched England v South Africa (in the RWC semi-final) using the iPhone 5G providing a hotspot for the iPad.

A thunderstorm had raged from the moment we got here into Croatia from Serbia. The chosen campground at Ranc Ramarin  was rejected just before nightfall because a wedding was about to start. From experience they van be very loud and very late. I doubt the last dance would be at midnight.

We therefore moved along the road and used Park4night to find a big green space behind a bar where the attached hotel was closed. The young woman at the bar shrugged and said “no problem” when I showed her our request using Google Translate, saying “no money”’as well.

We drove 100m into the darkness and over long wet grass, lifted the roof in the increasingly heavy rain and then stayed inside for about twelve hours and ducked every time there was a flash and a bang.




The storm lasted quite some time but we fed and watered ourselves and then Dawn retired and I settled down with the iPad and headphones. 9pm kick off meant that I crawled into bed, very tired and deflated, after a 10 hour drive and that one point losing margin.

On Sunday we had a shorter drive across northern Croatia, along the border with Bosnia. We listened to an Archers omnibus and looked at the lovely scenery. This looks so much more prosperous than those villages in southern Bulgaria.

Early arrival at Brcko mini pet farm (click here) meant a nice lazy late afternoon. Nic proudly showed us the recently constructed (by him) rustic style facilities and the animals. A Minnesota pig, two horses, plenty of ducks, and lots of small goats.



It is no doubt heaven for kids. Nic is trying to develop this business, along with the campervan pitches, financed by his main work as a joiner and roofer.






We liked the double shower room building with the timber features. There are some nice touches like galvanised bucket washbasins. Unfortunately the authorities have already said that the timber building must be replaced with concrete and all the statutory blah blah blahs that they require. 

Poor Nic is showing the signs of stress with a viral infection and he’s only in his twenties.


Comments

Mark M. said…
Final few days of travel to come. Hopefully it all goes smoothly.

Popular posts from this blog

The empty map of Macedonia and into Greece

Continuing south towards the Serbia / Macedonia border, the satnav warned of a lack of detail, "do you wish to continue with this route?" However we are not intrepid explorers and Macedonia comes with a few " be careful" warnings, so we decided to stay on the motorway :-) We didn't explore Serbia; it will wait for another trip. So it was on to the border. Here, passport and V5 were required again and also proof of insurance. We didn't have any of course. When we rang the UK insurance company call centres prior to the trip, most had no idea where these countries are. They don't understand non-EU. "Macedonia - can you spell that"? The nice man at the passport office was already expecting me to say that I would buy my insurance at the "Green card office" and he handed back one passport and the V5 and put mine in his pocket until I had the necessary paper for the Landy. Unfortunately in spite of the Land Rover being classed as PL...

Remote mountains and how not to behave in them

Prior to the trip I had read somewhere that there aren’t any mountains in Portugal - at least I thought I read it. My preparations had, as usual, been focused almost totally on getting the Landy ready and Dawn, who had been doing all the other jobs was much better informed. “What? You are kidding aren’t you? Have you even looked at a map?” were some of the words she used when I told her this vital piece of information. As it became clear, there are mountains in Portugal - not massive peaks but high elevations are common and the extent of the ranges is quite large. The most remote and wild are the Serra da Peneda Gerês which rise to 1,440m but there are three others “Seras” in the Parque National da Peneda - Gerês, in which wolves roam free. First stop on they way there was the town of Guimarães, the day after “Portugal Day” and the castle and buildings were in tip-top condition. A Polish guy from Katowice who’s lived here for twenty years was selling bilberry jam in these c...

"I'm the dog"

El Berro and  Camping Sierra Espuña  are nicely positioned for walking in these 'low' Sierras and of course the obligatory GR XYZ  long distance path crosses the village. The campsite people gave us a couple of short walk suggestions, written on A4 and translated by some English guy, Michael Ball. We waited until the end of the afternoon, so that the temperature was somewhat manageable and then picked one of the ~1 hour walks that start at the campsite. The walk is so simple that there's no description, just a small diagram that's well annotated with the type of path (wide main track / footpath), other markers (gate, incorrect route, fence). You can't go wrong, can you? Well the first part was easy. Follow the path out of the village, up a valley, through woodland, up and up. Then reach the ridge and the marked ring of stones. Don't turn right, carry on straight across. Then wander through a few trees and down to a dry riverbed, at which point you walk the (ve...