Skip to main content

Cañon de Añisclo


To get to one of the best situated alpine campsites in the world at Bujaruelo, we needed to get west into the next valley. We have driven to this campsite before but not on this road, through the Cañon de Añsiclo.

This aerial photo of the ravine is taken from an information board.






It starts near the village of Escalona and follows the Río Bellos roughly north west, for about 12 Km. It is very dramatic. The reason was that it passes through a ravine so narrow and so deep, that we could hardly see the top and some of the time, the bottom. When we could do so, we stopped to admire the surroundings. It is so narrow, so deep and so long, that it is a one-way drive. 


 







At one point we realised that we must be close to the walk of the previous day and tried to identify the crags opposite. It wasn’t possible of course but a map check suggested we weren’t far away.

I have been trying to think what makes the Pyrenees stand out, as they feel so much different than anywhere I’ve been in the Alps.

The answer I think, is that the peaks are squashed together so that there are fewer open valley floors, the sides are steeper and not cultivated, the rivers and streams run through deep, inaccessible courses and it all feels so young, in a geological sense.

I think I have read somewhere that the Iberian peninsula was a separate landmass, pushing against the European plate, with the Pyrenees the result. Maybe they are still rising and the gaps reducing and the slopes getting steeper? Time will tell.


Here’s a couple of videos that might help the story…






Link to second video here 

Comments

Mark M. said…
That is a unique drive. Can you imagine building that road?? Why is it there, were there mine workings or similar? Good that tou took the Landy for that road and not the Golf! It might have been a bit small.

Popular posts from this blog

The empty map of Macedonia and into Greece

Continuing south towards the Serbia / Macedonia border, the satnav warned of a lack of detail, "do you wish to continue with this route?" However we are not intrepid explorers and Macedonia comes with a few " be careful" warnings, so we decided to stay on the motorway :-) We didn't explore Serbia; it will wait for another trip. So it was on to the border. Here, passport and V5 were required again and also proof of insurance. We didn't have any of course. When we rang the UK insurance company call centres prior to the trip, most had no idea where these countries are. They don't understand non-EU. "Macedonia - can you spell that"? The nice man at the passport office was already expecting me to say that I would buy my insurance at the "Green card office" and he handed back one passport and the V5 and put mine in his pocket until I had the necessary paper for the Landy. Unfortunately in spite of the Land Rover being classed as PL...

"I'm the dog"

El Berro and  Camping Sierra Espuña  are nicely positioned for walking in these 'low' Sierras and of course the obligatory GR XYZ  long distance path crosses the village. The campsite people gave us a couple of short walk suggestions, written on A4 and translated by some English guy, Michael Ball. We waited until the end of the afternoon, so that the temperature was somewhat manageable and then picked one of the ~1 hour walks that start at the campsite. The walk is so simple that there's no description, just a small diagram that's well annotated with the type of path (wide main track / footpath), other markers (gate, incorrect route, fence). You can't go wrong, can you? Well the first part was easy. Follow the path out of the village, up a valley, through woodland, up and up. Then reach the ridge and the marked ring of stones. Don't turn right, carry on straight across. Then wander through a few trees and down to a dry riverbed, at which point you walk the (ve...

Quiet Spain

Flamenco had been advertised for 17:30, at the campsite restaurant. The campsite isn't busy yet as it isn't July or August, which seems to be the only time any quantity of Spaniards go on their holidays. The restaurant is commensurably quiet too but we thought we'd go and listen. I'd assumed that Flamenco is just guitar with some clapping but here we had a couple of guys, one who could play the guitar, properly and one who could sing, properly. The guitarist often played two different melodies simultaneously and without checking Google, I think that is Flamenco. I was expecting the other guy just to clap, Flamenco style but clapping was a mere sideline, as he could sing. It was no ordinary lament but a serious, sad almost haunting sound and I only wish that I understood the words. It was a very informal session. I should say that this clip isn't particularly representative of the Flamenco style that I think they were playing! A bigger draw however, was th...