Skip to main content

That’s it!



The serious news of increased coronavirus infections drives home the need to take care of personal hygiene and space. We have experienced shops, cafes, pubs and communal facilities at campsites during this trip and it’s clear that the standards differ widely.

As this virus is a silent spreader there’s little that can be done except to try to stay distanced during conversations. This can be very hard as some people just don’t think or remember. When walking on a narrow cliff path you do get a sense of COVID hesitation upon meeting others coming towards you.

It’s the differing standards at campsites though that is a surprise. Some have hand gel but others don’t. Some enforce 2m and others don’t. This is how Eric the Quartermaster does it.



Contact details are taken in some places such as this café and now masks are worn in shops here in Wales.


As I write, the UK government are about to announce further restrictions to try to slow the spread of infections in the second wave. I’m sure that the warm weekend weather and fear of new restrictions was the reason for so many people here. The campsite owners are saying how busy it has been for September. It doesn’t feel busy though.

I like Hymer campervans. Actually these really fall into the motorhome category. So when there were two classics sitting together on Eric the Quartermaster’s ‘no hookup’ field as we drove on, I had to go and say hello. Well I did after we had established ourselves.

The discussion centred on the base vehicle which was a Mercedes in both cases. I think that this is unusual and the owners said that it is fantastic in terms of reliability.

One guy was surprised to hear how much planned maintenance I do to our Landy and said that his Hymer just has an oil and filter change. It was ironic therefore to see a recovery truck there the following night. They were to have left that evening but couldn’t get the engine started. As I had my pyjamas on I didn’t go out to gloat. 😁

We did chat with a guy who rather surprisingly runs a ‘claims’ business. He had one or two unbelievable stories. Coming into the claims business from the installation side, providing ‘domestic energy efficiency improvements’, he found himself following-up installations of loft and wall insulation and solar panels. The householders had become suspicious of the claimed benefits.

A typical scam was (is?) when installing loft insulation, to load the rolls into the roof space but not to un-roll and install. Instead the rogues make a few noises for a while and then declare “job done”. The poor householder who has said “I never go up there”, never goes up there but does sometimes notice that the house is no warmer.

Now he works on mortgages where the repayment has been incorrectly calculated at the bank and others where the commission paid was higher than it should have been. In his opinion, these mistakes are deliberate and the courts seem to agree.

The final day saw us walk from Morfa Nevyn to the Ty Coch by way of a pub lunch and the beach. We had a final swim in reasonably warm water.

I’d like to make special reference to these amazing Dock & Bay towels which pack down to nothing, yet still dry you and then themselves, very quickly.



The pub was still doing a good trade but it must be hard in these times when they close in bad weather. Not today though but it is the final day of summer I think.


Getting to know the Llŷn Peninsula has been a surprise and delight. It is very easy to move around by vehicle and a single base would be perfectly sensible. From the correct location walking too can include the north and south coasts. It isn’t far from one side to another.




The myriad of small coves and cliffs is what makes it so nice. If you want motorboats and jet skis then go to Abersoch, otherwise it’s secluded beaches, fishing from rocks and very easy hilly walking combined with fantastic views. It is windy though, nearly all the time. 😁

Comments

Rachel said…
I'm really glad you've both had a lovely time Tim. It will be a lovely trip to mull over whilst the hatches are battened down this winter. Catch up soon x x x
Tim said…
Thanks Rach, Sorry I missed this comment. I have now set-up and email notification for each comment that has been left.

Popular posts from this blog

The empty map of Macedonia and into Greece

Continuing south towards the Serbia / Macedonia border, the satnav warned of a lack of detail, "do you wish to continue with this route?" However we are not intrepid explorers and Macedonia comes with a few " be careful" warnings, so we decided to stay on the motorway :-) We didn't explore Serbia; it will wait for another trip. So it was on to the border. Here, passport and V5 were required again and also proof of insurance. We didn't have any of course. When we rang the UK insurance company call centres prior to the trip, most had no idea where these countries are. They don't understand non-EU. "Macedonia - can you spell that"? The nice man at the passport office was already expecting me to say that I would buy my insurance at the "Green card office" and he handed back one passport and the V5 and put mine in his pocket until I had the necessary paper for the Landy. Unfortunately in spite of the Land Rover being classed as PL...

"I'm the dog"

El Berro and  Camping Sierra Espuña  are nicely positioned for walking in these 'low' Sierras and of course the obligatory GR XYZ  long distance path crosses the village. The campsite people gave us a couple of short walk suggestions, written on A4 and translated by some English guy, Michael Ball. We waited until the end of the afternoon, so that the temperature was somewhat manageable and then picked one of the ~1 hour walks that start at the campsite. The walk is so simple that there's no description, just a small diagram that's well annotated with the type of path (wide main track / footpath), other markers (gate, incorrect route, fence). You can't go wrong, can you? Well the first part was easy. Follow the path out of the village, up a valley, through woodland, up and up. Then reach the ridge and the marked ring of stones. Don't turn right, carry on straight across. Then wander through a few trees and down to a dry riverbed, at which point you walk the (ve...

Remote mountains and how not to behave in them

Prior to the trip I had read somewhere that there aren’t any mountains in Portugal - at least I thought I read it. My preparations had, as usual, been focused almost totally on getting the Landy ready and Dawn, who had been doing all the other jobs was much better informed. “What? You are kidding aren’t you? Have you even looked at a map?” were some of the words she used when I told her this vital piece of information. As it became clear, there are mountains in Portugal - not massive peaks but high elevations are common and the extent of the ranges is quite large. The most remote and wild are the Serra da Peneda Gerês which rise to 1,440m but there are three others “Seras” in the Parque National da Peneda - Gerês, in which wolves roam free. First stop on they way there was the town of Guimarães, the day after “Portugal Day” and the castle and buildings were in tip-top condition. A Polish guy from Katowice who’s lived here for twenty years was selling bilberry jam in these c...