Skip to main content

Windy headlands


The coast path follows quite rugged scenery around the headlands of the peninsula and we walked around the north side, over Mynydd Mawr itself  towards Porth Oer. At the top is a coastguard lookout which for some reason hasn’t been used for over twenty years.
. 


I like the way in which there are smaller farmsteads spread right up the hillsides. Some are still very ‘primitive’ and others ‘gentrified’




I can’t remember the name for this flower but I believe it’s quite rare or at least hard to spot. That’s because it only flowers on one day so I guess we were lucky😁



It was a good walk of eight miles or so with a lunch stop on a rocky beach and a few people with whom to pass the time of day. Certainly though this part of the coast isn’t busy.

We passed one lady who was walking from our turnaround at Porth Oer to our start at Mynydd Mawr. She wasn’t sure how she was going to get back and like us, assumed it would be along the roads and tracks. Only afterwards did I think that I should have asked for her car keys. We could have driven it back to her finish and our start.  🤔

Back at Robert’s campsite we needed no persuasion to try a cream tea from Mrs Jones’ café. So many calories were expended and then replaced in just a few minutes.


We had moved down to the bottom of the field to be away from the-three-lads-in-their-tent. On Friday night they thought they were in the pub and were having a very loud time in what is a beautiful place with the wind and the waves usually to be heard. Unfortunately the wind hadn’t blown away their shouts and laughs which continued until the early hours.

We chatted down there to a chap from Chester (who I thought was a scouser). He’s a bricklayer who was camping for the first time in years. He seemed a bit sad, looking out to sea for much of the time but I didn’t probe and we talked about Liverpool FC and I showed him how to read a map. He hasn’t walked far as he thought he’d get lost in the lanes. Rather than get lost I think he might have walked a little too far. Now he can read a Landranger map he should do better.

Another chap had been cooking Bass that he’d caught and I wished I had a rod and lure to cast off the rocks. It turns out that he has been furloughed for so long that he doesn’t know what to do with himself. He’s spent a month in Cornwall and now is content to while away the hours on the Llŷn Peninsula.

A couple were driving a Defender 130 (Rapier) which was instantly attractive due to the purr of the V8 under the bonnet. Originally with a full tilt (soft top), replaced years ago with a custom camper box and and is now very shabby chic. We had a couple of long chats and  he even pinched my sliding worktop idea.


We made a final move to try to get out of the wind and strapped down the roof porch. It was a wild night, even wilder than the previous ones and up there with the roof catching the wind and the Landy swaying about all night, you could imagine being on a boat.



Comments

Rachel said…
Not jealous of your windy experiences however - I do not like camping in high winds!!
Tim said…
I’d had so little sleep due to noisy neighbours the night before that I didn’t care and slept through most of it. Dawn meanwhile was very disturbed!

Popular posts from this blog

The empty map of Macedonia and into Greece

Continuing south towards the Serbia / Macedonia border, the satnav warned of a lack of detail, "do you wish to continue with this route?" However we are not intrepid explorers and Macedonia comes with a few " be careful" warnings, so we decided to stay on the motorway :-) We didn't explore Serbia; it will wait for another trip. So it was on to the border. Here, passport and V5 were required again and also proof of insurance. We didn't have any of course. When we rang the UK insurance company call centres prior to the trip, most had no idea where these countries are. They don't understand non-EU. "Macedonia - can you spell that"? The nice man at the passport office was already expecting me to say that I would buy my insurance at the "Green card office" and he handed back one passport and the V5 and put mine in his pocket until I had the necessary paper for the Landy. Unfortunately in spite of the Land Rover being classed as PL...

Remote mountains and how not to behave in them

Prior to the trip I had read somewhere that there aren’t any mountains in Portugal - at least I thought I read it. My preparations had, as usual, been focused almost totally on getting the Landy ready and Dawn, who had been doing all the other jobs was much better informed. “What? You are kidding aren’t you? Have you even looked at a map?” were some of the words she used when I told her this vital piece of information. As it became clear, there are mountains in Portugal - not massive peaks but high elevations are common and the extent of the ranges is quite large. The most remote and wild are the Serra da Peneda Gerês which rise to 1,440m but there are three others “Seras” in the Parque National da Peneda - Gerês, in which wolves roam free. First stop on they way there was the town of Guimarães, the day after “Portugal Day” and the castle and buildings were in tip-top condition. A Polish guy from Katowice who’s lived here for twenty years was selling bilberry jam in these c...

"I'm the dog"

El Berro and  Camping Sierra Espuña  are nicely positioned for walking in these 'low' Sierras and of course the obligatory GR XYZ  long distance path crosses the village. The campsite people gave us a couple of short walk suggestions, written on A4 and translated by some English guy, Michael Ball. We waited until the end of the afternoon, so that the temperature was somewhat manageable and then picked one of the ~1 hour walks that start at the campsite. The walk is so simple that there's no description, just a small diagram that's well annotated with the type of path (wide main track / footpath), other markers (gate, incorrect route, fence). You can't go wrong, can you? Well the first part was easy. Follow the path out of the village, up a valley, through woodland, up and up. Then reach the ridge and the marked ring of stones. Don't turn right, carry on straight across. Then wander through a few trees and down to a dry riverbed, at which point you walk the (ve...