Skip to main content

What goes down must come back up


It’s quite a way and also a loss of some height, to follow the river from the campsite at Fontcouvért to Nevache. The don’t-move-far-from-the-car tourists go only to the first waterfalls which are 5mins away. With snow melt continuing, they are spectacular.




We walk along la Clarée river following a recognised path and it skirts meadows full of wild flowers. There are two or three steep downhill sections and after yesterday’s climb we wonder how these will feel on the return.


The river thunders below and beside us and very occasionally it slows down and becomes placid. It’s a long way but after yesterday’s exertions it’s a stroll.

In Navache we take up residence outside the boulangerie which is also a patisserie and coffee shop. We buy a quiche each and sit and watch the Sunday morning world.

Much of it comprises cyclists who have made their way over from Italy but also ‘church’ is over and the congregation moves outside and walks past us en masse. We later find that they have moved onto a post-service social at the nearby restaurant and are tucking into poulet roti.


The walk back uphill isn’t as hard as we’d imagined. I think yesterday has conditioned us.

We probably didn’t need another shower but there was a kind Dutchman and wife camping next to us. I think they’d found the campsite experience just a little too 1970s and this morning after just one night they offered me two jetons. I was rather surprised “don’t you want them for your own showers?” I asked, “no it’s ok” he said “but you must be dirty” I said rather too hurriedly but I’d already got them in my hand and the deal was done.

I had been a little worried about their hygiene as they had a little roof tent and a medium sized dog that also slept up there, needing a carry up and down. So I’d already seen the dog hairs all over his fleece. Maybe they’ll be obtain jetons for a laverie somewhere.

The nice young lady who runs the campsite,  does so by opening the accueil in the morning, having received the pre-ordered bread and she’s also there late afternoon for a while.

She is very happy to hear from me that I think it’s a nice place and tells me that she doesn’t want to change it. The cold taps for personal washing and washing up, seems to be a mark of the ‘nature’.

I think she’s slightly lost the idea and I don’t think that nature comes from cold water and very little housekeeping around the site or cleanliness in the sanitaires.

It’s a small price to pay; there’s something about the place that makes it nice. Everyone says hello to everyone else and there’s early activity, as water bottles are filled and boots laced-up. The mountains are right here. It really is a walkers’ campsite.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The empty map of Macedonia and into Greece

Continuing south towards the Serbia / Macedonia border, the satnav warned of a lack of detail, "do you wish to continue with this route?" However we are not intrepid explorers and Macedonia comes with a few " be careful" warnings, so we decided to stay on the motorway :-) We didn't explore Serbia; it will wait for another trip. So it was on to the border. Here, passport and V5 were required again and also proof of insurance. We didn't have any of course. When we rang the UK insurance company call centres prior to the trip, most had no idea where these countries are. They don't understand non-EU. "Macedonia - can you spell that"? The nice man at the passport office was already expecting me to say that I would buy my insurance at the "Green card office" and he handed back one passport and the V5 and put mine in his pocket until I had the necessary paper for the Landy. Unfortunately in spite of the Land Rover being classed as PL...

Remote mountains and how not to behave in them

Prior to the trip I had read somewhere that there aren’t any mountains in Portugal - at least I thought I read it. My preparations had, as usual, been focused almost totally on getting the Landy ready and Dawn, who had been doing all the other jobs was much better informed. “What? You are kidding aren’t you? Have you even looked at a map?” were some of the words she used when I told her this vital piece of information. As it became clear, there are mountains in Portugal - not massive peaks but high elevations are common and the extent of the ranges is quite large. The most remote and wild are the Serra da Peneda Gerês which rise to 1,440m but there are three others “Seras” in the Parque National da Peneda - Gerês, in which wolves roam free. First stop on they way there was the town of Guimarães, the day after “Portugal Day” and the castle and buildings were in tip-top condition. A Polish guy from Katowice who’s lived here for twenty years was selling bilberry jam in these c...

"I'm the dog"

El Berro and  Camping Sierra Espuña  are nicely positioned for walking in these 'low' Sierras and of course the obligatory GR XYZ  long distance path crosses the village. The campsite people gave us a couple of short walk suggestions, written on A4 and translated by some English guy, Michael Ball. We waited until the end of the afternoon, so that the temperature was somewhat manageable and then picked one of the ~1 hour walks that start at the campsite. The walk is so simple that there's no description, just a small diagram that's well annotated with the type of path (wide main track / footpath), other markers (gate, incorrect route, fence). You can't go wrong, can you? Well the first part was easy. Follow the path out of the village, up a valley, through woodland, up and up. Then reach the ridge and the marked ring of stones. Don't turn right, carry on straight across. Then wander through a few trees and down to a dry riverbed, at which point you walk the (ve...