Skip to main content

On the road


Sunday- Monday 10-11 Sept 2023

The Hull - Rotterdam ferry is an overnight service that leaves at 20:30. A short 80 mile trip from home is a nice way to start and the next day you disembark at 08:30 local time and hit the motorway.

The trip to Hull wasn’t without mishap, as one of the nice new Lucas retrofit flat wiper blades decided to stay in England by flinging itself off on the M18. Luckily on the Defender, the rear door blade is the same and so I moved that, also a nice new one. That also showed signs of not wanting to go to Albania and I had a difficult session to persuade it otherwise, in the rain at the side of the motorway and again at the services. I must be losing my wiperblade fitting technique.

Check-in at Hull is quick as there’s no customs or Border Force and we we soon driving on the ramp at the stern and onto the freight deck.

At the Sky Lounge there’s a great panoramic view of the Humber and Hull docks and a nice beer helped us settle down into “that holiday mood”.






We wandered around, laughing as we remembered that this seemed to be a big boat, until we saw the Brittany Ferries ones to Spain. Then it was back to the Sky Lounge just as the singer was reaching the climax of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. If this had been a practice for a home Karaoke slot then she might have made the grade but honestly it was excruciating. Never has there been more welcome words to be heard than “I’m going to take a short break now; see you in thirty minutes”.

Next morning the Europort voew was as amazing as ever. What a hive of activity it is.







There was no custom check at Europort either. There was a queue for passports but it was swift and pleasant and we hit the road as far as the first MacDonald’s. Here the coffee machine had failed and the group of Hells bikers that followed us in were not happy.

Back on the road the temperature increased steadily and it became an extremely hot day, maxing at about 35, so quite tricky, especially in slow moving roadworks of which there are plenty in Germany. However we made good progress although it might not look so on the map.

We had a good overnight stop in a small campsite at Schweppenhausen, very close to the A16 (click here) efficiently run of course but marred by finding an oil leak at one of the gearboxes that I thought was fixed after the trip to the French alps. I know there’s a leak, I just can’t find out where it is. So a visit to a garage is planned for the morning. They just don’t know we are coming!




Comments

Phil said…
Glad you've arrived in Europe safely. Hope you get the leak issue sorted tomorrow. Good luck! Px

Popular posts from this blog

The empty map of Macedonia and into Greece

Continuing south towards the Serbia / Macedonia border, the satnav warned of a lack of detail, "do you wish to continue with this route?" However we are not intrepid explorers and Macedonia comes with a few " be careful" warnings, so we decided to stay on the motorway :-) We didn't explore Serbia; it will wait for another trip. So it was on to the border. Here, passport and V5 were required again and also proof of insurance. We didn't have any of course. When we rang the UK insurance company call centres prior to the trip, most had no idea where these countries are. They don't understand non-EU. "Macedonia - can you spell that"? The nice man at the passport office was already expecting me to say that I would buy my insurance at the "Green card office" and he handed back one passport and the V5 and put mine in his pocket until I had the necessary paper for the Landy. Unfortunately in spite of the Land Rover being classed as PL...

"I'm the dog"

El Berro and  Camping Sierra Espuña  are nicely positioned for walking in these 'low' Sierras and of course the obligatory GR XYZ  long distance path crosses the village. The campsite people gave us a couple of short walk suggestions, written on A4 and translated by some English guy, Michael Ball. We waited until the end of the afternoon, so that the temperature was somewhat manageable and then picked one of the ~1 hour walks that start at the campsite. The walk is so simple that there's no description, just a small diagram that's well annotated with the type of path (wide main track / footpath), other markers (gate, incorrect route, fence). You can't go wrong, can you? Well the first part was easy. Follow the path out of the village, up a valley, through woodland, up and up. Then reach the ridge and the marked ring of stones. Don't turn right, carry on straight across. Then wander through a few trees and down to a dry riverbed, at which point you walk the (ve...

Quiet Spain

Flamenco had been advertised for 17:30, at the campsite restaurant. The campsite isn't busy yet as it isn't July or August, which seems to be the only time any quantity of Spaniards go on their holidays. The restaurant is commensurably quiet too but we thought we'd go and listen. I'd assumed that Flamenco is just guitar with some clapping but here we had a couple of guys, one who could play the guitar, properly and one who could sing, properly. The guitarist often played two different melodies simultaneously and without checking Google, I think that is Flamenco. I was expecting the other guy just to clap, Flamenco style but clapping was a mere sideline, as he could sing. It was no ordinary lament but a serious, sad almost haunting sound and I only wish that I understood the words. It was a very informal session. I should say that this clip isn't particularly representative of the Flamenco style that I think they were playing! A bigger draw however, was th...