Skip to main content

A very wet bum


Just south of the Trois Valleys ski area and north of St Gervais etc., is the lovely village of Samoëns and if you drive a little further east, the road ends near Sixt-Fer-à-Cheval.

Here we stayed for two nights at a campsite (Camping le Pelly) in probably the best mountain setting, right under Cirque du Fer à Cheval. Other cirques are available, such as Gavarnie in the French Pyrenees but nothing is so ‘in your face’ as this one. It’s right there, very close and visible. The number of waterfalls and their height is stupendous.



The darker photo is the morning after a night of heavy rain and these views only show one section of the Cirque, which probably spans about 90-110 degrees across one’s field of vision, when viewed from the campsite.

The cirque is one amazing feature but the valley turns north in front of it and stretches away and up, a tremendous perfect ’glaciated valley’.

We chose to walk to the headwall, known as Le  Bout du Monde (the edge of the world). The chosen route, le Pas du Boret, scales the west wall up to an alp, on which there’s a chalet / buvet. The path continues as a traverse, before losing a little height, to reach the end of valley, meeting the ‘tourist path’ that 98% of the walkers appear to use.

Our researcher’s notes allegedly say that this ‘valley wall’ route is easy but I would dispute that and in my defence I submit the following photographs.





That was after the scary start up rock slabs (red line on photo), with nothing to grab except the airy exposure. Later there were no spare hands for taking more photographic evidence.

It was a real slog up the side but little did we know that myrtle tart with cream and coulis would be available at the refuge, le Chalêt du Boret.





I don’t know how these refuge owners get all their necessities up to these places. There’s the lawnmower, chainsaw, all the cafe items, beds and of course the freezer for the bilberries. These must be from last year; it’s too early for this summer’s crop.



The traverse along to Le Bout du Monde was definitely supposed to be easy, however there’s a lot of snow melt and one particular stream proved to be a torrent and wet.

In the words of the guest contributor,

Walking along the path to the Edge of the World we had to cross many streams. We arrived at one which was a raging torrent and had a sign warning of the dangers of not holding tightly to the rope which was fastened across it. The crossing entailed some big jumps/lunges over the fast flowing water, made all the more scary knowing that we were very close to the cliff edge and the top of a high waterfall. 

Anyone who knows Tim will know what a kind, helpful person he is (edited) and so deep down I believe that he was genuinely trying to help me cross. He went over first, hanging on to the rope in case he slipped but found the rope to be too slack. When he was safely across, he gathered the excess rope to make it tight for me. However, the angle of the rope and the rocks meant that as I lunged across the most dangerous part of the water, hanging on to the rope, the newly tightened rope formed a barrier that stopped me reaching my rock and pushed me backwards into the torrent! I held onto the rope for dear life and Tim was pulling the other end. Thankfully I lived to tell the tale and was able to walk back pleasantly cooled by my soaking clothes and feet.

It really was a close call as Dawn was horizontal with rucsack dipping into the water, which would have pulled her in. Thankfully she held on and somehow pulled herself back upright. Various items and body parts got wet.

As I was dry, I soon forgot about this episode. The view at and from the Edge of the World was textbook stuff…






We examined the bottom of a hanging valley waterfall. It’s amazing how the volume and speed of the falling water creates a strong outflowing and very wet and misty wind.


Here’s a short video. It is very chilly there with the down draught and wet mist.



One more river to cross; this one was easier.




For the record, the walk was around 9 miles with 561m of elevation gained and lost.



Comments

Charlie said…
Ha ha this made me laugh out loud but I know if I was there I would have cried.
Mark M. said…
I could almost hear the various conversations that took place. 😂😂.
Not a walk that I could enjoy (due to the precipitous drops) but the pictures and words tell me this was quite an adventure.
Glad that Dawn held on so that she could describe her crossing to you with suitable prose. Take care!!
Jo said…
Great guest edit mum, I can really picture the scene
Tim said…
😄 It’s over now but the analysis continues 🤣

Popular posts from this blog

The empty map of Macedonia and into Greece

Continuing south towards the Serbia / Macedonia border, the satnav warned of a lack of detail, "do you wish to continue with this route?" However we are not intrepid explorers and Macedonia comes with a few " be careful" warnings, so we decided to stay on the motorway :-) We didn't explore Serbia; it will wait for another trip. So it was on to the border. Here, passport and V5 were required again and also proof of insurance. We didn't have any of course. When we rang the UK insurance company call centres prior to the trip, most had no idea where these countries are. They don't understand non-EU. "Macedonia - can you spell that"? The nice man at the passport office was already expecting me to say that I would buy my insurance at the "Green card office" and he handed back one passport and the V5 and put mine in his pocket until I had the necessary paper for the Landy. Unfortunately in spite of the Land Rover being classed as PL...

"I'm the dog"

El Berro and  Camping Sierra Espuña  are nicely positioned for walking in these 'low' Sierras and of course the obligatory GR XYZ  long distance path crosses the village. The campsite people gave us a couple of short walk suggestions, written on A4 and translated by some English guy, Michael Ball. We waited until the end of the afternoon, so that the temperature was somewhat manageable and then picked one of the ~1 hour walks that start at the campsite. The walk is so simple that there's no description, just a small diagram that's well annotated with the type of path (wide main track / footpath), other markers (gate, incorrect route, fence). You can't go wrong, can you? Well the first part was easy. Follow the path out of the village, up a valley, through woodland, up and up. Then reach the ridge and the marked ring of stones. Don't turn right, carry on straight across. Then wander through a few trees and down to a dry riverbed, at which point you walk the (ve...

Quiet Spain

Flamenco had been advertised for 17:30, at the campsite restaurant. The campsite isn't busy yet as it isn't July or August, which seems to be the only time any quantity of Spaniards go on their holidays. The restaurant is commensurably quiet too but we thought we'd go and listen. I'd assumed that Flamenco is just guitar with some clapping but here we had a couple of guys, one who could play the guitar, properly and one who could sing, properly. The guitarist often played two different melodies simultaneously and without checking Google, I think that is Flamenco. I was expecting the other guy just to clap, Flamenco style but clapping was a mere sideline, as he could sing. It was no ordinary lament but a serious, sad almost haunting sound and I only wish that I understood the words. It was a very informal session. I should say that this clip isn't particularly representative of the Flamenco style that I think they were playing! A bigger draw however, was th...