Skip to main content

Suffering from the effects of Murphy’s law


It started on the last trip. A little flicker of the charge light on the dashboard. Of course I was quick to deal with it and because it also came with an alternator voltage flicker, I started to ‘question’ the alternator regulator. After some good sleuthing I was nowhere nearer finding a replacement. That was until I contacted Namesh at Greens Starters and Alternators in Leicester.

He was able to point me to the exact replacement regulator that is manufactured by AS in Poland. Before I knew it, a new one was in the post. A few days later, having removed the alternator, I swapped it over in the laboratory.








All was fine after that. I even fitted a new solar panel of 175W, to give us an extra 75W of DC, and also a proper 16A AC hookup power connection, until sometime after that, the engine wouldn’t turn over, as the battery was low. I gave it some help and put the event onto the list of ?s. Then a few days before the next trip, it did it again.



Another flat battery. So what have we here? A duff battery? A badly repaired alternator? Some rogue circuit drawing too much current?

I started with the last one and pulled fuses whilst checking currents but nothing obvious was flagged. I tried to measure the current from the alternator but maybe it’s my DC clamp meter as I couldn’t really be sure what it was outputting, even though the voltage looked ok. that led me to the battery, only 12 months old and I took it back to the parts place. There it was connected to their magic £700 load tester and was labelled “Good, needs charging”.


What do you do when the ferry leaves in 48 hours and a good trip is ready to be spoilt? Spend the money and eliminate the possibles. So I bought another battery and alternator. I just can’t do anything else. I have the means, even though I know that I ought to be able to get to the root cause by being stubborn. I just don’t want to do this on holiday.

So new things were fitted and all seemed ok. Last Saturday came and we started to pack for an afternoon getaway. The fridge was flicked on and read 33C.  That was about 15 degrees above ambient. Oh dear. The temperature sensor has packed up. That’s a first.

Some quick surfing and I find one on Amazon. Very cleverly I arrange for it to be delivered tomorrow at an Amazon drop off at Plymouth.  Whoop.

Off we go and enjoy an easy late run to Droitwich and a nice night in a field near Ombersley. On Sunday we drive towards the storm and Plymouth, where our ferry departure has been brought forward so that the ship can make a run for it, across the channel and into the Bay of Biscay.





At Plymouth there’s no sign of ‘Prime’ and the guy at the counter unhelpfully says that the drop can be “anytime”. So we lurk on a side road and at nearly the last minute, we give up and go to check-in.

Meanwhile the fridge is cycled manually. At least it works. It just doesn’t know when to stop.

On the boat we forget that Murphy’s law always applies and we are no exception and over a beer, I hatch plan B. Andorra Campers have a thermistor in stock and an on-line shop. Their website can be viewed in my preferred language and they will ‘ship’ to an address in Espain. So that’s a plan but it can’t be executed until Tuesday, as Andorra Caravans are always closed on Mondays.





We hug the coast for the first few hours before finally turning to port and crossing the channel which is rough. On Monday morning after a choppy 22 hours which gets smoother not the other way round, I hatch plan C. Santander Caravans claim to be Dometic ‘people’.

Meanwhile I people watch and spot Lord Peter Hain and his wife. He’s the ex Labour MP from the Blair / Brown times and looked as though he was on holiday rather than dressed to impress.




 We leave the ferry and acknowledge all the Landy drivers who are gathering to drive in convoy to Jose’s Adventure tours in Portugal.  It’s only 20mins to plan C but when we arrive the place is closed and the gate blocked on the inside by one of many motorhomes. They aren’t late opening after lunch; it looks well closed. We are so suspicious, that the clever person in our party realises that it might be “a Saint’s Day”. It is, it’s “Nuestra Señora de la Bien Aparecida” / Our Lady of the Apparition and it’s only in Cantabria. Arghhh.

It’s plan B then.

We drive a few km to Santanilla del Mar, where just outside this fabulous old town there is a 38 place aire. This has full electronic controlled entry and we select a free pitch and pay the machine and the sliding gate opens. We are in and this is our view for the night.

All we have to do is keep cycling the fridge!





Comments

Mark M said…
Enjoy a fabulous trip. Hoping that plan b, c or even d works out. Best wishes to you both.
Tim said…
Thanks Mark. Still hoping for Plan B but it’s a slow burn unfortunately m.
Phil said…
How rough was rough? I hope you didn't suffer too much! And yes, that one of your plans works. Good luck x

Popular posts from this blog

The empty map of Macedonia and into Greece

Continuing south towards the Serbia / Macedonia border, the satnav warned of a lack of detail, "do you wish to continue with this route?" However we are not intrepid explorers and Macedonia comes with a few " be careful" warnings, so we decided to stay on the motorway :-) We didn't explore Serbia; it will wait for another trip. So it was on to the border. Here, passport and V5 were required again and also proof of insurance. We didn't have any of course. When we rang the UK insurance company call centres prior to the trip, most had no idea where these countries are. They don't understand non-EU. "Macedonia - can you spell that"? The nice man at the passport office was already expecting me to say that I would buy my insurance at the "Green card office" and he handed back one passport and the V5 and put mine in his pocket until I had the necessary paper for the Landy. Unfortunately in spite of the Land Rover being classed as PL...

"I'm the dog"

El Berro and  Camping Sierra Espuña  are nicely positioned for walking in these 'low' Sierras and of course the obligatory GR XYZ  long distance path crosses the village. The campsite people gave us a couple of short walk suggestions, written on A4 and translated by some English guy, Michael Ball. We waited until the end of the afternoon, so that the temperature was somewhat manageable and then picked one of the ~1 hour walks that start at the campsite. The walk is so simple that there's no description, just a small diagram that's well annotated with the type of path (wide main track / footpath), other markers (gate, incorrect route, fence). You can't go wrong, can you? Well the first part was easy. Follow the path out of the village, up a valley, through woodland, up and up. Then reach the ridge and the marked ring of stones. Don't turn right, carry on straight across. Then wander through a few trees and down to a dry riverbed, at which point you walk the (ve...

Our Landy

Here is our new Landy. It's a 1996 Defender 110 County Station Wagon. The engine is the 300Tdi which is a straightforward diesel that doesn't have an ecu so we won't need access to computer diagnostics in order to fault find. It was bought at the end of 2014 in 'restored' condition, but we soon discovered that the restoration was wallpaper and in fact it required some serious work on the drivetrain, hubs and brakes. The jobs done: Rear half-shafts and drive flanges Front n/s CV joint and drive flange Front ventilated brake discs One old and one new front disc New brake callipers fitted to each corner Rear lower link arm bushes Front radius arm bushes New shockers all round Front turrets replaced with galvanised versions New transmission brake shoes ( after replacing the failed rear transfer box oil seal). Replaced the rear body cappings with galvanised - hence the silver coloured band around the body. Galvanised capping, supports the r...