Skip to main content

The Black and White villages

 Not content with a small oil leak on the engine, I decided to change the o-ring at the oil filter thermostat housing.  In true “cause a bigger problem” style, I did this job on a Sunday afternoon, the day before a fast start on another shakedown trip. Even though I used a delicate 1/4” drive socket, I cracked the case flange because the new o-ring was a bit thicker than it should be and it was Sunday and I couldn’t get another.

So now I needed a new housing and optimistically arrived at Paddock’s the next morning at 8am. Unfortunately their website was correct and they didn’t have one but I did get the correct o-ring. Happily the other customer there, who was spending a lot more than me (on this occasion anyway), suggested I try Cavendish at Chesterfield. Guess what? They had one on the shelf, although they didn’t know why.

So two hours after I left home, I returned and a little bit later the Landy was available for loading.



We came close to the Welsh Borders, in order to finally visit friends who have been working on a major barn rebuild and conversion and have almost finished the plastering stage. Wow, what a beautiful job they have made, considering that the dominant gable-end needed to be totally rebuilt and ancient timbers helped to serve another hundred or more years.

It is magnificent and is worthy of ‘Grand Designs’. We can’t wait to return this summer to see the finished building.





We visited a community-run café in a local village church. What a great use of space. We discovered that the sprightly octogenarian that served us was a one-time farmer at Monyash. Oh how we enjoyed talking about grass, finishing cattle and general ‘farming on Limestone’ stuff.




The local art group were busy in the nave and the community shop with Post Office counter is under the café at the back of church and so the whole space was in use. 



Later we walked up to the local viewpoint, nearly failing to negotiate the water and mud that are the result of incessant rain since the end of October. It didn’t rain until we were halfway down. Taking in a view from an elevated position always shows you the weather that is coming soon and we therefore knew what to expect. We got drenched.




Later we moved to see the back and white villages that are found west of Leominster, conveniently finding a little museum and later a tea room, so that we were able to dodge some of the rain in Eardisland.





Finally it stopped and we were in yet another Back and White village, with a caravan site and space to dry out.




This was Pembridge and that evening we had beer and curry at the Red Lion pub. Nothing better!

The church here has a separate bell tower, as have several other village churches in the area. This one is magnificent with huge oak pillars and beams that have been here for many hundreds of years. 




The bells are driven by a 19C clock and chime the quarter hours, so a few minutes were eagerly spent waiting to see the mechanism whirring and hear the 3.30pm chime. I learned a little about the autonomous maintenance of church bells too.








I’m not clear on the bell ringing instructions though.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The empty map of Macedonia and into Greece

Continuing south towards the Serbia / Macedonia border, the satnav warned of a lack of detail, "do you wish to continue with this route?" However we are not intrepid explorers and Macedonia comes with a few " be careful" warnings, so we decided to stay on the motorway :-) We didn't explore Serbia; it will wait for another trip. So it was on to the border. Here, passport and V5 were required again and also proof of insurance. We didn't have any of course. When we rang the UK insurance company call centres prior to the trip, most had no idea where these countries are. They don't understand non-EU. "Macedonia - can you spell that"? The nice man at the passport office was already expecting me to say that I would buy my insurance at the "Green card office" and he handed back one passport and the V5 and put mine in his pocket until I had the necessary paper for the Landy. Unfortunately in spite of the Land Rover being classed as PL...

Remote mountains and how not to behave in them

Prior to the trip I had read somewhere that there aren’t any mountains in Portugal - at least I thought I read it. My preparations had, as usual, been focused almost totally on getting the Landy ready and Dawn, who had been doing all the other jobs was much better informed. “What? You are kidding aren’t you? Have you even looked at a map?” were some of the words she used when I told her this vital piece of information. As it became clear, there are mountains in Portugal - not massive peaks but high elevations are common and the extent of the ranges is quite large. The most remote and wild are the Serra da Peneda Gerês which rise to 1,440m but there are three others “Seras” in the Parque National da Peneda - Gerês, in which wolves roam free. First stop on they way there was the town of Guimarães, the day after “Portugal Day” and the castle and buildings were in tip-top condition. A Polish guy from Katowice who’s lived here for twenty years was selling bilberry jam in these c...

"I'm the dog"

El Berro and  Camping Sierra Espuña  are nicely positioned for walking in these 'low' Sierras and of course the obligatory GR XYZ  long distance path crosses the village. The campsite people gave us a couple of short walk suggestions, written on A4 and translated by some English guy, Michael Ball. We waited until the end of the afternoon, so that the temperature was somewhat manageable and then picked one of the ~1 hour walks that start at the campsite. The walk is so simple that there's no description, just a small diagram that's well annotated with the type of path (wide main track / footpath), other markers (gate, incorrect route, fence). You can't go wrong, can you? Well the first part was easy. Follow the path out of the village, up a valley, through woodland, up and up. Then reach the ridge and the marked ring of stones. Don't turn right, carry on straight across. Then wander through a few trees and down to a dry riverbed, at which point you walk the (ve...