Skip to main content

Preparations

Here we go again, another trip in the Land Rover. For those that don't know, this is a Defender 110 CSW with a 300TDi engine, registered in 1996.

Since the previous trip to Greece and the Balkans, I have done further work to get the vehicle "up to scratch" which has been to replace the two sill channels, these are fastened to and run under the bottom of the three door pillars. Also I replaced the crossmember with a galvanised item (across the vehicle under the second row seats) and the aluminium heel up-stand under those seats.

This is the heel up-stand and you can see where the aluminium has oxidised (white powder or a big hole) at the point where it has been in contact with the steel of the bracket behind it, to which it has been fixed (at some point in the last twenty years).












I also worked on the engine - keeping it brief, I discovered that the turbo waste gate was jammed and must have been so since I bought the Landy in late 2014. The waste gate opens at a preset pressure to allow the extras boost from the turbo to be 'dumped' to the exhaust when it's not needed.

If it isn't 'exercised' enough due to the engine not being used then it seizes-up and it's a right b%$%**d of a job to free it off. This was done and so the distinctive turbo whine that we were so used to is no more.

Also I did a full service including all oils - engine, gearbox, transfer box and axles. The R380 gearbox - for the record, is now using MTF94 oil from Smith & Allan.

Another major job was to find and fix the source of a water leak, mainly affecting the passenger side, where water would cascade from the front corner of the headlining. After all the work in Greece last year, this still wasn't fixed. After extensive hi-tech pressure testing using a hosepipe I discovered that there was a problem with the fitting of the window seal around the alpine window. That's the high-up long narrow window on the edge of the roof.

I replaced both seals (another right b&£*r of a job) and on removing the old ones, I discovered that the passenger one was shorter than that on the offside. This indicates that it was fitted incorrectly and cut too short.

All ok now and we were off to Portsmouth for the Sunday night ferry to Bilbao.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The empty map of Macedonia and into Greece

Continuing south towards the Serbia / Macedonia border, the satnav warned of a lack of detail, "do you wish to continue with this route?" However we are not intrepid explorers and Macedonia comes with a few " be careful" warnings, so we decided to stay on the motorway :-) We didn't explore Serbia; it will wait for another trip. So it was on to the border. Here, passport and V5 were required again and also proof of insurance. We didn't have any of course. When we rang the UK insurance company call centres prior to the trip, most had no idea where these countries are. They don't understand non-EU. "Macedonia - can you spell that"? The nice man at the passport office was already expecting me to say that I would buy my insurance at the "Green card office" and he handed back one passport and the V5 and put mine in his pocket until I had the necessary paper for the Landy. Unfortunately in spite of the Land Rover being classed as PL...

Remote mountains and how not to behave in them

Prior to the trip I had read somewhere that there aren’t any mountains in Portugal - at least I thought I read it. My preparations had, as usual, been focused almost totally on getting the Landy ready and Dawn, who had been doing all the other jobs was much better informed. “What? You are kidding aren’t you? Have you even looked at a map?” were some of the words she used when I told her this vital piece of information. As it became clear, there are mountains in Portugal - not massive peaks but high elevations are common and the extent of the ranges is quite large. The most remote and wild are the Serra da Peneda Gerês which rise to 1,440m but there are three others “Seras” in the Parque National da Peneda - Gerês, in which wolves roam free. First stop on they way there was the town of Guimarães, the day after “Portugal Day” and the castle and buildings were in tip-top condition. A Polish guy from Katowice who’s lived here for twenty years was selling bilberry jam in these c...

"I'm the dog"

El Berro and  Camping Sierra Espuña  are nicely positioned for walking in these 'low' Sierras and of course the obligatory GR XYZ  long distance path crosses the village. The campsite people gave us a couple of short walk suggestions, written on A4 and translated by some English guy, Michael Ball. We waited until the end of the afternoon, so that the temperature was somewhat manageable and then picked one of the ~1 hour walks that start at the campsite. The walk is so simple that there's no description, just a small diagram that's well annotated with the type of path (wide main track / footpath), other markers (gate, incorrect route, fence). You can't go wrong, can you? Well the first part was easy. Follow the path out of the village, up a valley, through woodland, up and up. Then reach the ridge and the marked ring of stones. Don't turn right, carry on straight across. Then wander through a few trees and down to a dry riverbed, at which point you walk the (ve...