Skip to main content

Fremantle - it's not south Perth

Saturday 2nd November 2013
I wasn't particularly excited about going to 'Freo'. I hadn't done much reading homework in advance and I just thought it is a fairly busy port. I wasn't expecting the mix of culture and architecture that we found on our first walk around. There are many Victorian and Edwardian buildings, many a legacy of the gold rush. We headed straight for the visitor centre and a nice guy called Alan (ex Pom) gave us the most detailed descriptions of what to do and where to go, that the open air stalls just outside had all packed up whilst we were in there. He did direct us to quite a number of sights and it was nice to wander around in the afternoon sun.
There were of course a fair few distractions along the way...
Coffee is taken on Cappuccino Strip...


...and beer is drunk at Little Creatures, a very cool brewery that forces you to sample seven beers before you are allowed to buy any!


In a corner bar within the market (The Market Tavern), there was a little more beer and we listened to some great music. This is a nice way to spend a late Saturday afternoon and I'm thinking of trying this at home.

(Sorry about snapping the drinker in the foreground - as I said, it's a mix of types in Freo!?)

There are a series of wonderful bronze sculptures fixed around the city. I will name the one below as 'The Unknown Figure', for obvious reasons. It depicts a passenger disembarking at the quay and walking into a new life in Australia.


There are remarkable acknowledgements to those immigrants who came to Australia during the 20th century. There are quotations from some, inscribed on plaques near the quay, describing how they had eventually settled, after leaving loved ones back in the UK and enduring hardships as they established a new life.
A reference book is available, listing all those who arrived, with date and name of ship. I think they were refered to as ten pound poms.


Another shows children, who were sent away on a new life in the 40s, 50s and 60s - an altogether less palatable story.

There are also many tributes in Freo to the convicts whose labour who not only constructed Fremantle prison, in which they were then housed, but also because it was convict labour that created the 19th century infrastructure. It couldn't have been done without them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The empty map of Macedonia and into Greece

Continuing south towards the Serbia / Macedonia border, the satnav warned of a lack of detail, "do you wish to continue with this route?" However we are not intrepid explorers and Macedonia comes with a few " be careful" warnings, so we decided to stay on the motorway :-) We didn't explore Serbia; it will wait for another trip. So it was on to the border. Here, passport and V5 were required again and also proof of insurance. We didn't have any of course. When we rang the UK insurance company call centres prior to the trip, most had no idea where these countries are. They don't understand non-EU. "Macedonia - can you spell that"? The nice man at the passport office was already expecting me to say that I would buy my insurance at the "Green card office" and he handed back one passport and the V5 and put mine in his pocket until I had the necessary paper for the Landy. Unfortunately in spite of the Land Rover being classed as PL...

Remote mountains and how not to behave in them

Prior to the trip I had read somewhere that there aren’t any mountains in Portugal - at least I thought I read it. My preparations had, as usual, been focused almost totally on getting the Landy ready and Dawn, who had been doing all the other jobs was much better informed. “What? You are kidding aren’t you? Have you even looked at a map?” were some of the words she used when I told her this vital piece of information. As it became clear, there are mountains in Portugal - not massive peaks but high elevations are common and the extent of the ranges is quite large. The most remote and wild are the Serra da Peneda Gerês which rise to 1,440m but there are three others “Seras” in the Parque National da Peneda - Gerês, in which wolves roam free. First stop on they way there was the town of Guimarães, the day after “Portugal Day” and the castle and buildings were in tip-top condition. A Polish guy from Katowice who’s lived here for twenty years was selling bilberry jam in these c...

"I'm the dog"

El Berro and  Camping Sierra Espuña  are nicely positioned for walking in these 'low' Sierras and of course the obligatory GR XYZ  long distance path crosses the village. The campsite people gave us a couple of short walk suggestions, written on A4 and translated by some English guy, Michael Ball. We waited until the end of the afternoon, so that the temperature was somewhat manageable and then picked one of the ~1 hour walks that start at the campsite. The walk is so simple that there's no description, just a small diagram that's well annotated with the type of path (wide main track / footpath), other markers (gate, incorrect route, fence). You can't go wrong, can you? Well the first part was easy. Follow the path out of the village, up a valley, through woodland, up and up. Then reach the ridge and the marked ring of stones. Don't turn right, carry on straight across. Then wander through a few trees and down to a dry riverbed, at which point you walk the (ve...