Skip to main content

Cluny

We got friendly with the next door neighbours who knew less English than I knew French. So that in itself was a great win for me and my French language confidence.

We didn't get off to a good start though, as we couldn’t agree to the model of their Ford camper van. He was saying Transit in a very strong French accent and I was saying Tourneo in an equally strong accent, trying to sound French. This was only resolved by looking at the badge at the back, lowering the large hatchback in order to do so. He was right and I was wrong, so I apologised in a nice French way and we grinned.

It’s a very nice camper based on the Transit Custom LWB and we later discovered that it’s their first big trip and they are en route for Greece. They want to be Ancona in two days, in order to catch a ferry to Patras.

I asked what route they were using to cross the Alps. Disappointingly they had no idea, even on the morning of their departure. It wasn’t hard to translate their French into “we just follow Google”. Oh dear. I would want to plan a magnificent trans-Alps day. After all, we ‘travellers’ know that the journey is part of the adventure. 🤣

We went back to Cluny. It was shown to be on the way, when using Google maps and ‘avoiding tolls’. It’s a lovely town and the church was the largest in Christendom until St Peter’s in Rome was built. Much of it was destroyed in the C18th but lots remains. We have walked the streets many times but were happy to do so again.






We intended to swim in the outdoor pool but it was closed. There was a rumour that it was in fact open but no-one went in for 36 hours, until a school party turned up just as we were preparing to leave the site.


This is another municipal site with a long lunch hour. Queues form outside the barrier, waiting for the guardian to re-start at 15:00. Reception closes again at 18:00 and I was sad to see a young couple turn up sometime after that, having walked in carrying big rucksacks.

They sat outside the office but the sign would clearly show ‘closed’. After about an hour I walked over. Surely they could walk in, pitch camp and pay in the morning, I suggested. The place was hardly busy.

The young man looked as though he was straight out of the 1970s with hair and beard to match. His girl kept her head down as I spoke.

“It’s ok. I don’t have confidence” he said. I told him that it would be perfectly ok to do it. “No it’s ok”.

So I asked what they were going to do, eying their heavy load. “I rang my mum and she will come”. I was puzzled, asking where he lives. It was only about 12km away but the plan to walk and camp with his girl has not worked out. I was a bit sad for them but also felt sorry for mum. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The empty map of Macedonia and into Greece

Continuing south towards the Serbia / Macedonia border, the satnav warned of a lack of detail, "do you wish to continue with this route?" However we are not intrepid explorers and Macedonia comes with a few " be careful" warnings, so we decided to stay on the motorway :-) We didn't explore Serbia; it will wait for another trip. So it was on to the border. Here, passport and V5 were required again and also proof of insurance. We didn't have any of course. When we rang the UK insurance company call centres prior to the trip, most had no idea where these countries are. They don't understand non-EU. "Macedonia - can you spell that"? The nice man at the passport office was already expecting me to say that I would buy my insurance at the "Green card office" and he handed back one passport and the V5 and put mine in his pocket until I had the necessary paper for the Landy. Unfortunately in spite of the Land Rover being classed as PL...

"I'm the dog"

El Berro and  Camping Sierra Espuña  are nicely positioned for walking in these 'low' Sierras and of course the obligatory GR XYZ  long distance path crosses the village. The campsite people gave us a couple of short walk suggestions, written on A4 and translated by some English guy, Michael Ball. We waited until the end of the afternoon, so that the temperature was somewhat manageable and then picked one of the ~1 hour walks that start at the campsite. The walk is so simple that there's no description, just a small diagram that's well annotated with the type of path (wide main track / footpath), other markers (gate, incorrect route, fence). You can't go wrong, can you? Well the first part was easy. Follow the path out of the village, up a valley, through woodland, up and up. Then reach the ridge and the marked ring of stones. Don't turn right, carry on straight across. Then wander through a few trees and down to a dry riverbed, at which point you walk the (ve...

Our Landy

Here is our new Landy. It's a 1996 Defender 110 County Station Wagon. The engine is the 300Tdi which is a straightforward diesel that doesn't have an ecu so we won't need access to computer diagnostics in order to fault find. It was bought at the end of 2014 in 'restored' condition, but we soon discovered that the restoration was wallpaper and in fact it required some serious work on the drivetrain, hubs and brakes. The jobs done: Rear half-shafts and drive flanges Front n/s CV joint and drive flange Front ventilated brake discs One old and one new front disc New brake callipers fitted to each corner Rear lower link arm bushes Front radius arm bushes New shockers all round Front turrets replaced with galvanised versions New transmission brake shoes ( after replacing the failed rear transfer box oil seal). Replaced the rear body cappings with galvanised - hence the silver coloured band around the body. Galvanised capping, supports the r...